Re: [Vserver] Step by Step Guide to a nano-vserver

From: Michael S. Zick <mszick_at_morethan.org>
Date: Fri 23 Dec 2005 - 19:52:16 GMT

On Fri December 23 2005 13:36, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 10:23:58AM -0600, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > Group,
> > This morning's update is available.
> >
> > Also available on-line at:
> > <http://www.morethan.org/step_step.html>
> >
> > Still don't have networking setup in the baby
> > vserver correctly.
> >
> > Considerations of restricting file access added.
> >
> > The download links remain the same.
> > <http://www.spamviz.net/download/step_step.ps.gz>
> >
> > The binary image of the loop file:
> > <http://www.spamviz.net/download/baby01.bin.gz>
> >
> > Should run on any linux-2.6.14-vs-2.0.1/x686 system.
> > Just unpack her and follow the "waking baby" section
> > of the directions.
Oops,
You also need reiserFS-3 in your kernel.

> great!

Yes I am proud of my baby vserver - all virgin sources -
with zero patching.

> > Should look as if you had started your real machine
> > with the command line option: init=/bin/bash
> >
> > Now, on to inventing her first clone.
>
> could you imagine to extend this to non x86 archs
> too, especially x86_64, ppc/64, mips, sparc and arm?

And different filesystems (e2fx, e3fx, xfs should all work).
Once I finish learning how to teach her tricks - like networking.

If anyone with those machines wants to follow the directions,
I can post the resulting /dev/loop file.

It might be better to wait until she is a little more finished.
I still have a lot to learn. I think this is only day 5.

Her world space is still 96% empty, room for a lot more
twins/clones with samples of different setups.

> best,
> Herbert

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Happy Holidays
Mike