Re: [Vserver] can i install fedora core 4 in a vserver using the cds

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri 23 Dec 2005 - 15:32:31 GMT

On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 07:28:27AM -0600, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Fri December 23 2005 05:07, Mustafa Abbasi wrote:

> > > Is that the link you used?
> > > Those packages are specials for a different kind of virtual server.
> >
> > no i have not yet used tem and if you say i can't then i guess i
> > should not.
> >
> > but they are just installation like someone suggested (that i use
> > qemu to make the installation) made for qemu. i thought i could
> > extract the contents and use it. are you sure it is not right
> >
> You have me on that one.
>
> I guess you have to consider the source of the information.
> ME: About 5 days of experience with Vserver
> OTHERS: A whole lot more -!!!-
>
> Could be the qemu is a less trouble free route to take.
> Consider:
>
> If you install a standard distribution, you will end up
> editing the structure of its init sequence.
> - - - vserver will start but you will see a lot of
> - - - messages about things that init could not do.
> - - - This is not fatal, or even harmful.
>
> If you install a distribution already tailored for running
> under a virtual server (anybodies) then the structure
> of its init sequence has probably already been edited.

that is very true, but usually (for sysv based distros)
it is very easy to change the runlevel commands, and
that can be done with a few commands ...

OTOH, debian is a bitch if you want to create RPM based
distros on such a host, and not many did succeed yet
(interstingly the other way round, i.e. building debian
guests with debootstrap on an RPM based host does not
even require to install anything)

> So using the qemu version of a distribution might be
> what you should do - I can't say for sure, so just try it.

whatever gives you a 'normal' installation will work
for linux-vserver, and can be adapted with a few simple
changes, like replacing the /dev (for security) and
removing unwanted (hardware related) runlevel scripts

HTH,
Herbert