Re: [Vserver] vserver migration 1.2.10 > 2.0.1

From: Lars Braeuer <lbraeuer_at_mpex.net>
Date: Thu 22 Dec 2005 - 13:46:11 GMT

Ok, this is really emberassing to me. I forgot to use --numeric-owner with tar. Though, I don't know
why (without --numeric-owner) only the GIDs got messed up and not the UIDs (with UGID24)!?

dump/restore still don't work. Might there be a problem because I'm moving the guest systems from
lvm1 to lvm2?

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 10:09:21PM +0100, Lars Braeuer wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm having an issue with some files (group owner) when migrating a
>>vserver from a 2.4.30-vs1.2.10-vquota (GID24) system, ext3 partitions
>>mounted with tagctx to the new 2.6.14.3-vs2.0.1 system (GID24,
>>util-vserver-0.30.209), ext3 partitions mounted with tagxid. The
>>context id is the same (fixed) on both systems.
>

> you sure that the original partition is mounted with
> the proper tagxid (former tagctx) option? i.e. that
> the files show sane uid/gid at the 'source'
>
>>When tarring the files on one vserver and untarring it on the new one,
>>a few files have different GID's. UID's are correct as far as I can
>>see.
>

> could you tar a few of those problematic files for
> me and upload or attach them to the next mail?

I tarred a few files that have the wrong GID 16777214 find it at:
http://mpex.net/tmp/wrong-xid.tar

mtab entry (on 'source'):
/dev/vg/test /vservers/test ext3 rw,tagctx,usrquota,grpquota 0 0

mtab (on 'destination'):
/dev/vg/test /vservers/test ext3 rw,tagxid 0 0

on the 'source' everything looks fine. uid's/gid's are correct.

here's exactly what I'm doing to transfer the files with dump.
- destination: create lvm2 partition with same size as the old one
- destination: create ext3 fs / mount fs with tagxid option
- source: dump 0zf /tmp/test.dump /vservers/test ; <copy to destination>
- destination: cd /vservers/test ; restore rf /test.dump
- destination: Lots of GIDs are 16777214, UIDs are fine

As we are not really using the tagging on the old and new system for quota (we planned to, but we
never used it), is there a way to remove it before transfering the guest system via dump, i.e. with
"chxid -c 0" or something?

>>Same issue when using dump/restore to transfer the guest system to the
>>new host. The only difference is, that the GID is 16777214 on those
>>files.
>

> just to make sure, both systems use UGID24?

yep, triple checked that.

>>Running chxid with the desired context id from the hostsystem doesn't
>>change anything.
>>
>>Any hints? Am I missing anything?
>

> we'll see ...
> best,