Re: [Vserver] Wiki : HowTo graph vserver usage with cacti

From: Xavier Montagutelli <xavier.montagutelli_at_unilim.fr>
Date: Thu 15 Dec 2005 - 08:32:51 GMT

On Thursday 15 December 2005 05:33, Matt Gorecki wrote:
> Xavier Montagutelli wrote:
> >Hello list,
> >
> >I have added a HowTo on the Wiki (Documentation -> HowTo section) to show
> > a way to graph vserver-stat output with cacti.
> >
> >http://linux-vserver.org/Cacti+configuration
> >
> >It's quite long, but I hope it's still useable. It has been a bit hard to
> > make this setup, so I think it can be of interest.
> >
> >Feel free to correct. Or even remove if you think it's useless... You can
> > also contact me if you have problems with the setup (I guess these
> > questions would be off-topic on this list ?), even if cacti remains
> > "black magick" for me after this trial ...
> >
> >HTH,
>
> Very nice, this will be very useful.
>
> I have been wondering about the best way to monitor network traffic for
> each individual vserver. Have you done something similar for those
> statistics as well?

No, because in my case memory is the most demanded resource.

I use the standard SNMP data (already defined in cacti for example) for
network traffic => I get data per *physical* interface. I don't know how to
get network traffic per IP address by SNMP. Perhaps the only way to do that
is by exploiting data from /proc/virtual/<ctx>/cacct and using a similar
trick as I did (through some shell script).
(http://linux-vserver.org/HowTo+Read+ProcFS)

The only difference in the how to would be on the "Getting vserver-stat
output" section :-) If you find it difficult and you are really interested, I
can spend some time on this.

I also use the standard SNMP data for load average on the host, not by vserver
(we could perhaps get this data using the "virt_load" flag on all vservers
and a shell script on the host). But this information doesn't seem very
relevant, just for cosmetic. Or would there be a real interest ?

> Matt

Xavier Montagutelli
Service Commun Informatique
Universite de Limoges