Re: [Vserver] Re: OT: something like VServer, but for Windows platform?

From: Matt Nuzum <matt.followers_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed 07 Dec 2005 - 22:36:40 GMT

On 12/7/05, Gerhard Hofmann <gerhard.hofmann@planat.de> wrote:
> Xavier Montagutelli wrote:
> >
> > VMware or MS Virtual Server are not identical to Linux VServer, as they
> > virtualize a full machine and not only an execution environment for the
> > applications. But perhaps it is a solution for Gerhard ?
> >

> Sorry, I should have been more precise in my original posting. I already
> have used VMware and wondered if there was a VServer-like (only
> execution environment, not full-blown hardware emulation) alternative on
> Windows.
>
> Regards
> Gerhard

Colinux, http://colinux.sourceforge.net/ allows you to run linux guest
operating systems right in windows. It's basically a kernel patch to
the Linux kernel that allows it to run as a windows process.

It works really well if you don't need to be in a virtualized hardware
environment. Like VMware it allocates disk space and RAM so it's not
as lightweight as Linux Vserver but it's a lot more resource friendly
(IMHO) than VMWare.

--
Matthew Nuzum <matt@followers.net>
www.followers.net - Makers of "Elite Content Management System"