Re: [Vserver] building first guest vserver

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 05 Dec 2005 - 15:15:15 GMT

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 12:53:39PM +0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello again.
>
> I got a skeleton guest server built and am now trying to start it.
>
> There were some files that could not be copied from the /proc
> directory so I skipped them.

/proc is a virtual filesystem and is not mounted
when a guest or real machine is not running ...

i.e. you are not supposed to copy any of them, and
there should be none on an inactive server

> I had an error message that running vprocunhide seemed to take care of.
>
> But now...
>
> [root@gw ~]# vserver dns start
> secure-mount: chdir("/tmp"): No such file or directory
> /usr/local/etc/vservers/dns/fstab:2:1: failed to mount fstab-entry
> find: var/run: No such file or directory
> fakerunlevel: open("/var/run/utmp"): No such file or directory
> Failed to start vserver 'dns'

you are not trying to start a skeleton server, yes?
you haave to populate the skeleton with dirs and files
from your real server first ...

(this should include the /tmp and /proc dir but not
 virtual filesystems mounted on /proc /sys /dev ...)

> ...although I've reompiled and reinstalled the util-vserver utilities
> with a -prefix=/ they still seem to be running
> on /usr/local/etc/vservers rather than /vservers.

did you unistall the old ones first? most distros
have the /usr/local earlier in the $PATH than /usr
or / to allow overriding distro defaults ...

> How can I fix this?

remove the old ones ...

> Thanks again for your help and patience.

HTH,