Re: [Vserver] Building a vserver 'by hand'

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 05 Dec 2005 - 02:51:04 GMT

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 07:05:23AM +0700, John Francis Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since I'm not having any success with vserver build I wonder if someone
> might outline the steps for building a vserver 'by hand'?

well, first a comment on your 'previous' post regarding yum:

IIRC, the latest yum was reported to have some issues
downgrading to a certain version did help some folks
(please search the ML archives for details)

then, you might also try the rpm and apt-rpm based install
methods, which might have more success on your setup
(of course the debootstrap build method should work fine too)

and finally, to build a guest 'by hand', just do a normal
install, create the guest with the skeleton method
(see alpha-util-vserver page for details) and copy over
all the dirs except for the /dev one ... after that (or
after the first startup) cleanup all hardware related
runlevel scripts to avoid error messages on startup/shutdown

well, that's it (IIRC there is also a wiki page which
explains this kind of migration)

> Thanks for your patience with my troubles.

you're welcome!

HTH,