Re: [Vserver] Copy VServer

From: Xavier Montagutelli <xavier.montagutelli_at_unilim.fr>
Date: Wed 30 Nov 2005 - 20:25:47 GMT

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 18:51, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> Xavier Montagutelli wrote:
> >On Tuesday 29 November 2005 19:12, Lars Hallberg wrote:
> >>I'm new to VServer and need a way copy vservers, in short term.
> >>vserver-copy don't work no more and replacment is not done yet? This is
> >>a small script to (on local host only) copy a vserver.
> >>
> >>What I wonder before taking it further is.... Have I missed something
> >>important?
> >
> >[.. script ..]
> >

> >10 cents :
> >
> >1) copy the .pkg dir, usually /vservers/.pkg/$from, which has a link under
> >/etc/vservers/<vserver>/apps/pkgmgmt/base . Used if you build vservers
> > with "vserver vs build"
>
> Don't seem to have one, might be becuse I use package management internal?

How do you do that ? Do you use "vserver <vs> pkgmgmt externalize" after
building the guest, or is there a way to make it by default (I think I missed
something here) ?

> Don't know howe much difference this make, but I using Ubuntu 5.10 and
> the debian tools. Built my original 'guest' with somthing like:
>
> # newvserver -v --hostname testname --domain "foo.bar" --ip IPADDRESS

This tool is not in the "util-vserver" commands. Perhaps that's why you don't
have any "/vservers/.pkg/<vs>" directory ?

> >echo $to > $confdir/$to/name

This is the internal name of the vserver

> >echo $to > $confdir/$to/interfaces/0/name

Name of the alias on the interface (eth0:<name>)

> >ed $confdir/$to/uts/nodename <<EOF

> Is that name internal to the vserver level, or is it the 'running'
> hostname.

This file is the one used to set the hostname in the vserver.

[..]
> >4) modify context number automatically (if you use static context numbers,
> >which is preferred) ?
>
> Don't think I do, possably I shuld... Wher can I read about pro and con?

Mandatory if you use context tagging for files, needed to set up disk limit
per vserver or quota per vserver (in case you are using a single partition
for hosting different vservers), otherwise simply recommended ?

> Thanks /LaH

Xavier Montagutelli
Service Commun Informatique
Universite de Limoges