Re: [Vserver] util-vserver: make install tries to compile

From: Bodo Eggert <7eggert_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu 24 Nov 2005 - 01:43:31 GMT

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 09:06:09PM +0100, Bodo Eggert wrote:

> > If I run 'make install', the make script tries to compile a file. Off
> > cause this can't work out, since I transfered the pre-built directory from
> > the machine with my compiler to my server, where I want to install.

BTW: The version is util-vserver-0.30.209.

> could it be that your 'transfer' was not without
> effect on the timestamps?

Both hosts are (successfully) synchronized using NTP, and I ran make and
make -k install in the same nfs-exported directory from which I tried to
install. Off cause as a user, I couldn't actually install. Then I switched
to the server, ran 'make install' again and got the same errors again.

I finally gave in and used checkinstall and installed the created rpm over
the installed files just to remove it/them again. After doing this, I ran
"make -d ...", and it turned out to be a dependency on /opt/diet/include/*
automatically added by the build system. I hate automake and libtool.

Now I got the message <<save_ctxinfo:
symlink("/etc/vservers/test","/etc/vservers/.defaults/run.rev/"): File
exists>>. According to
http://svn.openfoundry.org/utilvserver/releases/0.30.203/doc/configuration.html,
this shouldn't happen on kernel 2.6 as it's unused, but it does. As it
turned out, it is a dietlibc bug: strncat(buf, "2", 1) did nothing. Maybe
this should be checked by the build process.

Next bug: function colorize in ./scripts/functions is called from colpanic
without a style, so the "echo" command is used as a style and the '-n'
option used as a shell command. This made it very hard to read the reason
for the build process to fail on subsequent attempts after the first
attempt failed.

BTW: I played with optimizing code, and I found that using the 'register'
attribute makes the generated code worse on x86.

--
Funny quotes:  41. There are three religious truths:
 * Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.