Re: [Vserver] Fake packages for removing useless dependency packages from RHEL/CentOS/Fedora vservers [scanned]

From: Veit Wahlich <cru_at_zodia.de>
Date: Sat 19 Nov 2005 - 05:16:49 GMT

Am Samstag, den 19.11.2005, 03:37 +0100 schrieb Guenther Fuchs:
> Looks successful to me,

Fine.

> size on FC4 reduced by approx. 93 MB through
> this packages, remaining services seem running proper.

Heh, wow - how big was the initial install?
CentOS 4 shrank "only" about 32M (116M -> 84M)

> Will look into this a little further and report it soon w/adding to
> the Vserver installation guide to FC4.

Would be nice. I also thought about creating a naturidentisch.de repo
for FC4 vservers, but currently none of the repo's users works with FC4
based vservers as FC4 is just our desktop distro of choice.
Most servers/vservers are Debian or CentOS driven.

> Thank you for this good piece of work.

I will redirect all thanks to Keybits oHG.
They commissioned a clean method for removing useless (particularly
huge) packages from CentOS vservers for their Debian->CentOS conversion.

Best regards,
// Veit