Re: [Vserver] packet shaping with vservers

From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri 18 Nov 2005 - 15:39:22 GMT

Hello,

> > On a brighter note, the machine is rock stable and is humming along
> > happily.
>
> so we can probably consider the previous issues a
> hardware failure/incompatibility and not linux-vserver
> related at all, right?

The box died again, tonight (about 3am). Zero load whatsoever, no
console messages, neither hangcheck nor softdog noticed anything, just
sudden death. Beats me :( My bets are on a broken CPU. We just got a
replacement chip and we'll install it next week.

> > Another box (dual Xeon) just can't be overloaded (whatever we'd throw
> > on it, it'd just ask for more), available disk space became the
> > limiting factor before CPU power (for the first time here AFAIK).
>
> yes, interesting report ...

The owner of the machine (it'll go production soon) did some load
tests and reportedly managed to cause a loadavg spike of 160, but as I
was also told, was impressed with the machine's responsivity.

> > I'd like to thank the VServer team for doing such a fine job. My
> > respect and appreciation.
>
> in behalf of the Linux-VServer team, I thank you for
> providing feedback, as we appreciate that very much.

I'm glad I can help.

I truly wish I'll be able to provide only positive feedback :)

> best,
> Herbert

Best regards,
Grzegorz Nosek