Re: [Vserver] packet shaping with vservers

From: Grzegorz Nosek <grzegorz.nosek_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon 14 Nov 2005 - 13:23:54 GMT

2005/11/13, Björn Steinbrink <B.Steinbrink@gmx.de>:

> I've tried the instructions you gave in one of your previous mails (add
> a qdisc, then add a class [or whatever are the correct terms...]). And
> ran "ping -f 192.168.0.1" from my box to my router. With 1Gbit rate and
> ceil limits, with 100Kbit limits and backlog filled up and cleaned out
> about once per second for a really short time (I guess that is expected
> due to the rate limit). I didn't experience the backlog slowly filling
> up as you described.
> Test setup was:
> Athlon64 X2 4400+, Tyan Tomcat K8E S2865G2NR, 2GB RAM, 100Mbit tg3 nic.
> Tested kernels (all SMP):
> 2.6.14
> 2.6.14.2-vs2.0.1-rc1
> 2.6.14.2-vs2.1.0-rc7
>
> On the vserver-kernels I ran ping in context 0 as well as in a vserver.

Hi

Thanks for your info. The weird thing is that although I had limited
eth0 traffic, the slowdowns occured at the lo interface (pingflooding
between vservers).

Which gcc version did you use? Could you share your kernel config? If
at all possible, I'll try to boot with an identical kernel and see if
there's any difference.

Best regards,
Grzegorz Nosek