Re: [Vserver] Documentation /proc/virtual/*?

From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert_at_13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon 31 Oct 2005 - 22:19:40 GMT

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:26:16AM +0200, Raimund Specht wrote:
> Hi !
>
> >> Is there any documentation of what the various keys and values in the
> >> files in /proc/virtual/ mean (more than just a 'ls -R /proc/virtual/*')?
>
> > The "keys" (=subdirs) btw are the Context-IDs of the
> > running VServer guest systems.
>
> Oh yes, this isn't too hard to find out :)
>
> > on the first attempt I found this doc:
> > http://linux-vserver.org/HowTo+Read+ProcFS
> > Maybe this helps?
>
> No, this is just a cat *.
> What I want to know is what all those funny values mean, e.g. what do these
> three columns with 2 values each in cacct mean, what is load_updates, what
> are the values in limit etc.

I added some explanations, but not all entries are
easily explainable and/or useful for the typical
administrator ...

for example, the beforementioned load_updates count
the number of load average calculations done for
this context (which is very useful for development
and performance tuning, but usually only of limited
use for administration)

HTH,
Herbert