Re: [Vserver] VServer forum

From: Eugen Leitl <eugen_at_leitl.org>
Date: Thu 20 Oct 2005 - 12:37:47 BST

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 07:27:38AM -0400, Chuck wrote:

> I have found both to be very helpful. Mailing lists are excellent but for me I
> find it difficult to wait through a search of tens of thousands of msgs for
> some content I am looking for. There is an extreme convenience in mailing

That's what a web engine is there for. The archives are world-visible.

> lists in that, one.. they come into your home therefore seem more personal...

They are also serialized, and do not require polling. Whenever I have to
use a broken medium (such as e.g. Sveasoft, which is the only way they
support their product), I find myself I have to enable email notification on
I have to invoke a browser instance, and manually cut and paste the link
(no, clicking doesn't work, because I read my mail from many places).

Also, unlike web search engines, the forums' uniformly suck mossy rocks,
both in speed and accuracy.

> two you can maintain your own 'database' of sorts to search at your liesure
> however it does get to be difficult when manipulating,say, 25,000 msgs. :)

I don't find it difficult to manipulate well in excess of 100 k messages.
The database is of primary value in case the original effort goes away,
or data is destroyed by a disk crash with no backup (happens regularly).

--
Eugen* Leitl leitl