Re: [Vserver] a few minor? problems with Xvnc / KDE in a guest

From: Chuck <chuck_at_sbbsnet.net>
Date: Mon 17 Oct 2005 - 22:06:23 BST

On Monday 17 October 2005 04:44 pm, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 04:35:47PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> > On Monday 17 October 2005 05:03 am, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> >
> > thats was it o great guru :) thank you!
>
> you're welcome!
>
> > all i had to do was add my thusers to e tty group and terminal windows
> > now work.
> >
> > still doesn't fix the startup problem though where after a guest start
> > i have to log into kde as root then log out to allow regular users
> > to log in. without this, kde only gets to some point in initializing
> > services and then dies.
> >
> > i did notice one thing but i dont know if this would have a bearing
> > on it or not.. whenever i start xdm which then runs kdm, i get this
> > error:
> >
> > kdm[5185]: XDMCP socket creation failed, errno 97
> >
> > however, after i have done the root login, i can restart xdm all i
> > want and it gets that error every time but nothing affects my login
> > as a regular user. it always continues to work until the guest is
> > restarted again.
> >
> > i have no clue where to look for that problem :) everything within
> > the kdm/xdm/kde framework has a single ip listen address assigned.
> > everything within kde that i need for remote admin work and personal
> > option config for kde works fine.
> >
> > i have removed everything else from the menu since its not a 'play'
> > desktop :)
> >
> > once i can get this to work without a root login first, then there is
> > 100% success in running a remote kde desktop under a vserver guest :)
>
> hmm, a remote logon might actually change the
> 'ownership' of the tty entries and/or some permissions
> it might also create some files and/or initialize
> some authentication stuff ... maybe do an ls -lR
> before and after that root login (inside the guest!)
> and check for differences (also in /dev, /dev/pts and
> /tmp) ...

it does create entries in /tmp.. one msg i read in a search for the problem
said they cured it by changing ownership of the /tmp files to root after the
failed login... but thats a patch as bad as my logging in as root soon as i
start it:)
this is a look at tmp when everything is working as it should be...
cody is one of the remote users.. i had him log in to be sure it worked to the
outside ok. the root and gndmstr ones are coming from my workstation-host via
vnc just like the remote people will use.

drwx------ 2 cody users 40 Oct 17 16:50 kde-cody
drwx------ 2 gndmstr wheel 40 Oct 17 16:26 kde-gndmstrz2Ekz4
drwx------ 2 root root 40 Oct 17 16:24 kde-root
drwx------ 2 cody users 40 Oct 17 16:50 ksocket-cody
drwx------ 2 gndmstr wheel 120 Oct 17 16:26 ksocket-gndmstrEffl17
drwx------ 2 root root 40 Oct 17 16:25 ksocket-root

the failed attempt appears to have the same permissions as above..

will run that ls cmd to a file before any logins on a fresh start and then
again after a failed user login, then after a root login to see what files
may differ

i think i can get away with only doing /usr/kde , /dev, /tmp and /var since
some run pids and sockets are created there. also /home because kde creates
dcop server files and links there during use.

> HTH,
> Herbert

> > issues

> > so /tmp

> > and

> > cannot
> > >
> > > check the /dev/pts permissions and the groups, maybe your
> > > permissions are too restrictive to allow terminal sessions
> > > to work properly. also check the logs for pam messages and
> > > verify that your pam setup is working correctly, e.g. on
> > > was it FC4? disable the uuid audit plugin ...
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Herbert

It is