From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell_at_digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Mon 03 Oct 2005 - 05:54:54 BST

I'm trying to get a program called mooix running in VServer and it
seems to need CAP_SYS_ADMIN or CAP_SYS_RESOURCE, and I don't
understand why.

The error if both are turned off is:

Starting Mooix: moodmood: uids.c:125: reclaim: Assertion `pid != -1'
failed.

Digging into the code, that line is just the assert in:

    pid = fork();
    assert(pid != -1);

so it seems to be having a straight-up failure to fork. Note that
this daemon is run as root; it has to be, because it changes UIDs on
a regular basis.

The only hint man fork gives is:

    EAGAIN It was not possible to create a new process because the
    caller's RLIMIT_NPROC resource limit was encountered. To
    exceed this limit, the process must have either the
    CAP_SYS_ADMIN or the CAP_SYS_RESOURCE capability.

but ulimit says nproc is 2048, and /proc/blah/blah/limit says:

PROC: 8 10 -1 0

so that seems unlikely.

Oddly enough, however, CAP_SYS_RESOURCE *does* fix it.

So is there some hidden limit somewhere? If so, where do I find it
and change it?

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://singinst.org/