From: Chuck (chuck_at_sbbsnet.net)
Date: Tue 27 Sep 2005 - 00:42:45 BST

I sometimes have a problem with a stop timeout when using
vserver guest stop

it appears randomly.. the only thing I can think of is i try to run it too
soon after exiting the guest. I find if I wait a bit before stopping the
guest i do not get this error.

here is the error

prometheus colossus # vserver colossus stop
A timeout occured while waiting for the vserver to finish and it was
killed by sending a SIGKILL signal. Please investigate the reasons
and/or increase the timeout in apps/vshelper/sync-timeout.

an unfortunate result of this is it also kills my single running production
guest and I have to remove the /var/run/vservers entry for it then i can
restart it.

is this killing a guest I do not want stopped a normal byproduct of this
timeout error? I'm not sure where the problem is.. I have the gentoo inittab
fix installed so it is not that.

i dont get this on the other host i have guests on at all. the only thing that
is different, is this is an smp machine and it has a running qmail
installation in the host temporarily until i get time to move it to a guest.

the guest was installed using link copy from the template as all the others
have been.

I create the basic guest skeleton then remove the existing directories within
the guestname and then do

cp -al template/* new-guest

then do

find new-guest -type f -exec setattr --iunlink {} ';'

then i go into the guest /etc directory and configure it and then start it and
enter it.

--

Chuck

"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger, and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. " The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book