From: Chuck (chuck_at_sbbsnet.net)
Date: Tue 20 Sep 2005 - 23:34:52 BST

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 05:40 pm, Werner Schalk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do run a couple of (Gentoo-based) vservers on Gentoo and after I created
one
> with my little copy script (which did work fine up to now) I get the
> following error messages and the vserver refuses to start:

> # vserver pmiller start
> save_ctxinfo:
> symlink("/etc/vservers/pmiller","/etc/vservers/pmiller/run.rev/18"): No such
> file or directory
>
> An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
> there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
> (/sbin/rc default) failed.
>
> Common causes are:
> * /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
> method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
> appending 'true' to this file will help.
>
> Failed to start vserver 'pmiller'

> Any ideas what might cause this? The
file /etc/vservers/<username>/run.rev/18
> does not exist for any other vserver so why does he want the file now? Where
> must it point to? My version of util-vserver is 0.30.196 and my kernel is
> 2.6.11.6-grsec-vs1.9.5 with grsec not activated.

hmm. that is odd. on my system run.rev is in a different place on mine it is

/etc/vservers/.defaults/run.rev -> /var/run/vservers.rev

the contents of /var/run/vservers.rev for my system:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Sep 20 17:29 3254 -> /etc/vservers/ns1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Sep 20 17:29 3255 -> /etc/vservers/nagios
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 Sep 20 17:29 333 -> /etc/vservers/ns2

to identify the 3 servers i have running now

I would first check to see if your system is using this layout or not. i am
running 2.6.13.1-vs2.1.0-rc2 nowever it has been like this since I started
with vservers only a short time ago using the -pre5 kernel.

It may have something to do with a slightly older version wanting things in a
different spot.

Chuck

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Best regards,
> Werner

Chuck

"...and the hordes of M$*ft users descended upon me in their anger, and asked 'Why do you not get the viruses or the BlueScreensOfDeath or insecure system troubles and slowness or pay through the nose for an OS as *we* do?!!', and I answered...'I use Linux'. " The Book of John, chapter 1, page 1, and end of book