From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 19 Sep 2005 - 13:59:14 BST

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 02:36:12PM +0200, Wicher wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to vservers, bu I can already say I like 'em. However, I'm
> having trouble setting up vserver quota. I followed the guide at
> http://linux-vserver.org/Disk+Limits and added a comment about how to
> mount the root file system with tagxid. Bert added a that mounting /
> with tagxid is unadvisable -- why?

because xid tagging on the rootfs will include tagging
for config files and state files (which are written
during guest startup/shutdown) and might cause 'funny'
and hard to reproduce issues ... so you have been warned :)

seriously, it's much better to have /vservers on a separate
partition instead of the root partition, so much can go
wrong if you're not 100% sure what you are doing ...

> Anyway, I'm having trouble. Setting quota works fine. Trying to
> surpass the quota from within the vserver fails (no space left on
> device). Perfect. But if I delete my big testfile, the free space is
> not reclaimed!

need a few more details here, e.g. output of testme.sh
http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/SCRIPT/testme.sh
on the host, and a few details about filesystem and
mount options ...

TIA,
Herbert