From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 16 Sep 2005 - 15:52:36 BST

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 10:37:12AM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 11:44 pm, Chuck wrote:
>
> The error below has been fixed.
>
> I make my clones using
>
> cp -la template/* new-guest
>
> to create links. Then I remove etc root home and var from the guest
> and copy real files into it from the template rather than have links
> in those.
>
> The problem was that I accidently ran
>
> setattr --iunlink
>
> on a clone etc directory instead of removing the directoy to copy
> real files in place. This changed the template /etc which caused the
> error. Normally I would not have even found it since I would not run a
> template, but on this test bed the template is being used.
>
> To cure the problem I ran setattr --~iunlink on the template /etc
> directory and files.

note: the --iunlink sets the 'immutable' flag as well as
the 'immutable unlink' flag, basically making those files
immutable against changes, which not even the CoW link
breaking will break, as they are not hardlinked anymore

the --~iunlink removes both flags and makes them normal
files again ...

thanks for the followup!