From: Chuck (chuck_at_sbbsnet.net)
Date: Thu 15 Sep 2005 - 03:25:14 BST

On Wednesday 14 September 2005 10:09 pm, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 03:00:55PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> >
> > I just started my first vserver and it appears to work well however
> > when I issue the stop command I get a timeout error.
> >
> > I can enter the vserver just fine and it appears to be working and
> > I can ping the outside world and the outside world can ping it ok.
> > I have no services set up in it yet so I have nothing to enter it
> > directly from the outside yet.
> >
> > I exit the vserver by using the halt command. Then I issue this
> > command and get this result:
>
> hmm, I assume you entered it with 'vserver <name> enter'
> if so, try to exit it with 'exit' or CTRL-D

yes i did and i discovered exit by habit of typing exit out of my shells. that
worked well. better than halt.

> > davin / # vserver gentoo stop
> > A timeout occured while waiting for the vserver to finish and it was
> > killed by sending a SIGKILL signal. Please investigate the reasons
> > and/or increase the timeout in apps/vshelper/sync-timeout.
>
> we are currently investigating this, basically the
> following happens ...
>
> - the guest is instructed to shut itself down
> - the guest executes some shutdown scripts, but
> leaves somethin running
> - a timeout occurs, and kills off whatever is
> still running inside
> - the guest is properly terminated ...

the odd thing is, when i use the init script to start/stop the vservers i do
not get any errors at all but i imagine it is still there just not shown
since it takes <timeout> time to stop..

> > It does stop the verserver anyway. I checked that path and the only
> > entry in apps was vunify.
> >
> > Did I miss a step somewhere?
>
> probably not, it seems that this happens with
> certain guest setups (shutdown scripts) and we
> will work around that pretty soon, I hope :)

ok i will also report this to hollow since his setup suggestions are the ones
I followed and I used his vserver modified stage3/base layout for gentoo.
I will also mention the need for the attrs mount option in the host fstab for
reiserfs so he can add that as a note in his how-to.