From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_sigma-chemnitz.de)
Date: Mon 05 Sep 2005 - 16:51:43 BST

okajima_at_digitalinfra.co.jp (Jun OKAJIMA) writes:

> I installed util-vserver-0.30.208 from tar ball and succeeded
> to compile it on my Debian Sarge box. And vserver start/enter
> and build -m debootsrap work.
>
> But, build -m rpm and vhashify does not work.

(I assume you mean '-m apt-rpm' here as it is used below, and in
the age of apt and yum there is not much need for the '-m rpm'
method).

> BTW, I found that distrib/* know what is essential for each
> distribution. I want to know the basis of them.

"Essential" means the package(s) which are essential for the
functionality of the vserver. Without further information, this
is only stuff like coreutils or glibc; depending on the purpose
of the vserver, you can add things like httpd or samba or ...

There is no need to put a full closure of the dependencies into
'rpmpriorities' or the package-lists; apt/yum will resolve the
deps automatically and you will not run into problems with changed
dependencies on updated packages.

> I mean, for example, distrib/suse91 shows aaa_base.rpm is only
> file to be essential,

I am not familiarly with SUSE and used 'aaa_base' only as it
sounds like a basic requirement. ;)

> No dynamically linked rpm binary found; exiting...

rpm based build-methods do not work without a dynamically linked
rpm binary in your $PATH.

> rm -rf /usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/101 /usr/local/etc/vservers/101
> /usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/.pkg/101
> root_at_Debian:/# vserver 102 hashify
> 'vserver ... suexec' is supported for running vservers only; aborting...
> failed to determine configfiles

When using internal packagemanagment (this is the default with
'-m debootstrap'), the vserver must be running to determine the
configfiles. This is recommended for external packagemanagment
also because mounted filesystems are not visible else.

Enrico