From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Fri 02 Sep 2005 - 02:52:04 BST

On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 02:20:13PM +0200, Nicolas Costes wrote:

> Hello !
>
> I'm leaving my netatalk problems for a moment, because I have a more
> important issue to deal with:
>
> I used to build my file servers with Samba, winbind (NT domain member,
> no unix users on the server) and XFS file system with quotas. Now, I'm
> trying to do it in a vserver: Everything works fine nearly out-the-box!
>
> The problem is with filesystem quotas, as there is only /dev/hdv1
> apparently mounted (and special filesystems)

you want to use the vroot device for guest quota
support (see http://linux-vserver.org/Documentation)

> [root_at_filevserver /]# df
> Sys. de fich. 1K-blocs Occupé Disponible Capacité Monté sur
> /dev/hdv1 996M 535M 461M 54% /
> none 16M 0 16M 0% /tmp
>
> [root_at_filevserver /]# mount
> /dev/hdv1 on / type ufs (defaults)
> none on /proc type proc (defaults)
> none on /tmp type tmpfs (size=16m,mode=1777)
> none on /dev/pts type devpts (gid=5,mode=620)
>
> In fact, I created 2 LVM partitions on the host, and mounted them below my
> file vserver's root:
>
> [root_at_host ~]# mount
> /dev/mapper/volume1-filesv--home on /vservers/filesv/home type xfs
> (rw,quota)
> /dev/mapper/volume1-filesv--Proj on /vservers/filesv/home/Proj type xfs
> (rw,quota)

mount doesn't tell anything, except of the contents
of /etc/mtab :) check /proc/mounts for the real thing :)

> [root_at_hostic ~]# df
> Sys. de fich. Tail. Occ. Disp. %Occ. Monté sur
> /dev/mapper/volume1-vservers
> 996M 535M 461M 54% /vservers
> /dev/mapper/volume1-filesv--home
> 12G 1,3M 12G 1% /vservers/filesv/home
> /dev/mapper/volume1-filesv--Proj
> 12G 416K 12G 1% /vservers/filesv/home/Proj
>
> So, I tried to "setquota ..... /home", and of course, this fails, as the
> '/home' mountpoint virtually doesn't exist in inside the vserver.
>
> I read the quota articles on the wiki, but nothing seems to apply to my
> case. I'm thinking about a way to do it, but I don't know if that is
> possible :
>
> - Deleting '/dev/mapper/volume1-filesv--home' and
> '/dev/mapper/volume1-filesv--Proj' from the host's fstab
> - Stopping the file vserver
> - Unmount these 2 partitions
> - Create /dev nodes for these 2 partitions INSIDE the file vserver

insecure, will cause a _real_ security issue, that's
what the vroot device is for ...

> - Mount these /dev/nodes inside the file vserver (into '/home' and
> '/home/proj')

again insecure and unnecessary ...

> - Try to set the quotas.
>
> Can this work ?

it might work, we never found anybody willing and/or
interested in XFS quota ... but we can address this
too ... (if you are volunteering for testing)

> Side question : Why udev doesn't want to start inside the vserver ?

I'd say, because it doesn't really make sense?
all a guest's /dev is supposed to contain is:

 full null ptmx pts random tty urandom zero

and if you really, really need them

 console hdv1 initctl

HTH,
Herbert