From: Helmut Wollmersdorfer (helmut.wollmersdorfer_at_gmx.at)
Date: Fri 26 Aug 2005 - 10:21:19 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> so why not simply set RSS to 64MB and be done?

> well, you can certainly do that, and I guess most apps
> will handle that perfectly well, unfortunately there
> are certain apps which tend to allocate huge amounts
> of virtual memory, just in case they'll need it later
> on, and those will be really suprised, once they reach
> the RSS limit and get killed off by the OOM killer.

What means 'killed off'? Naively I assumed, that if e.g. current RSS of
the context is 52 MB and something (e.g. start of a Java application)
tries to get 42 MB, some pages must be 'kicked out' of real memory to
fullfill the 64 MB limit, resulting in bad performance, but not 'killed'.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer