From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 22 Aug 2005 - 14:25:44 BST

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 01:18:33PM +0200, Helmut Wollmersdorfer wrote:
> Debian Sarge
> util-vserver 0.30.208-1
> kernel-patch-vserver 2.0
> linux-source 2.6.12-2
> heartbeat 1.2.3-12
> drbd 0.7.11-1
>
> On my attempts to test vserver on drbd managed by heartbeat, I watched
> some funny behaviour.
>
> First I didn't specify a /etc/vservers/vs27/interfaces/0/name (which is
> the default).
>
> Heartbeat also creates an alias IP on eth0, which is eth0:0, because
> heartbeat does it before the vserver is started.
>
> The rest of the story is a lot of funny behaviour like ping-pong
> failovers, both nodes listening to same IP etc.
>
> I wonder a little bit, why
> 1) /name is not mandatory, or

because aliases are not really required, it's something
which was used five or more years ago, but you can
add/maintain IPs without them quite fine ...

(just forget about ifconfig, which is probably ten years
old and does not know anything about the current kernel
interfaces for ip/routes/etc)

> 2) why vserver does not check existing aliases before setting up an
> IP, or

hmm .. you mean, why it does not 'fail' when you try
to create an IP which already exists?
I'd say that's something Enrico will add sooner or
later (at least I hope so), maybe file a bug report
or feature request?

> 3) sets up ethx:<context> as default.

for what purpose? we had that with legacy for some
time, and the limited interface name length (15 char)
gave very funny results with guests called
'mybrandnewguest01', 'mybrandnewguest02' and you
have to handle multiple IPs too ... so iproute2 is
the way to go, if you want an alias, give it a proper
name, for the guest to work, it's not really required

> With interfaces/0/name defined it seems to work now:
>
> # ip addr ls
> [...]
> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
> [...]
> inet 192.168.0.22/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth0
> inet 192.168.0.20/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global secondary eth0:0
> inet 192.168.0.27/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global secondary eth0:vs27

so you are telling me, that with an entry like this:

 inet 192.168.0.27/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global secondary eth0

(note the missing :vs27 alias, which would be the default
 without specifying the 'name')

does not work on your system, while the above (with alias) does?