From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 22 Aug 2005 - 13:47:48 BST

On Mon, Aug 22, 2005 at 11:18:00AM +0530, Subhabrata Bhattacharya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for your suggestions.But could you please explain these
> questions that follow :
>
> > you are building a 'skeleton', so a lot of structure
> > and bones, but no fleshy services and binaries inside
>
> I have a minimal running linux filesystem as provided by ttylinux [as
> a vserver's base directory]. It also has all the binaries and init
> scripts that run fine when I boot linux with this filesystem. So what
> else do I need for that?

that would be sufficient for your guest, given
that the scripts and/or init is in the proper
place ...

maybe you could provide a boot command line for
ttylinux and your current guest (vserver) setup
so that we can see 'why' it doesn't work as
expected ...

> > or copy over some actual 'contents' into the skeleton
> > directory (which can be executed/run)
>
> What are these actual contents?

either an init process (plain and minit style) or
runlevel scripts to start services (sysv and
gentoo style currently)

> Is not possible to build a Linux vserver without using any
> distribution like gentoo/debian/RH/FC etc?

yes, sure, the only stuff that matters is that the
guest directory/filesystem can somehow be 'started'
as the kernel does with /sbin/init (or whatever you
specify)

> If so then is there a doc/HOWTO available?

there are many docus/howtos available, but I do not
remember a vserver guest from scratch howto ...
(doesn't mean it does not exist)

> Please help.

HTH,
Herbert