From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Wed 17 Aug 2005 - 01:06:58 BST

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Enrico Scholz wrote:

> raanders_at_acm.org ("Roderick A. Anderson") writes:
>
> > I've followed the instructions for FC3 --
> > http://linux-vserver.org/FedoraCore3_HowTo --
>
> Version number of util-vserver (0.30.205) is a little bit low in this
> HowTo; there should be native support for fc3 in recent versions (see
> point 8).

Yes, I am using 0.30.208.

> > only deviating where versions are different and with the addition of
> > getting a known good .config ( from the OpenVPS site ) to build the
> > vserver kernel.
> >
> > When I get to building a new guest I keep getting the error about not
> > finding glibc ( this using the '-m apt-rpm' switch ).
>
> This is probably caused by an outdated sources.list in
> /etc/vservers/.distributions/fc3/apt/sources.list so that the apt
> repository can not be found. It is possible also that the repository is
> incomplete or inconsistent.
>
> Maintaining all these metainformation about the distributions (apt + yum
> repositories) becomes hard and I am not sure what I will do regarding
> them. Perhaps, they will be outsourced into a separate package which can
> be updated more often.

I'm going to try a CentOS 4 install as soon ( as I menting in another
message ) I get a new power supply for one of my systems at home. Looking
at the sources.list for apt I tried a couple of pings and they failed.
The CentOS 4 HOWTO looks , at first glance , to make this a non-problem
since I understand yum better than apt.

The idea to break them out into a separate package would be good.

> Building the vserver will succeed but it will not be possible to use an
> unmodified 'vyum' with a running vserver. Unfortunately, 'yum' does not
> provide enough options to workaround this without patches :(

I'll look for the patch instructions and give it a try.

> 'vprocunhide' (or executing vc_set_iattr(2) manully) *is* required. The
> reference rpm (which is mentioned in the howto above also) should register
> this script so it gets executed at the next boot automatically.

Missed the reboot solution. ( Feels too Windowsy :-)

> > Sorted that out with vprocunhide but now getting an error about
> > /etc/rc.d/rc and level 3 ...
> >
> > The "fix" -- to append true to the end of the file didn't work.
>
> The exact message (above the general hints) would be interesting.

Just for fun here it is!

# vserver test start
save_ctxinfo:
symlink("/usr/local/etc/vservers/test","/usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/run.rev/49153"):
No such file or directory

An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
(/etc/rc.d/rc 3) failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
  method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
  appending 'true' to this file will help.

Failed to start vserver 'test'

BTW, I was suspecting the RPM build was bogus so I did a .configure ; make
; make check ; make install and I'm still get the errors.

Rod