From: Roderick A. Anderson (raanders_at_acm.org)
Date: Fri 12 Aug 2005 - 15:06:03 BST

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> > > maybe a lot .. don't you have an existing, well
> > > tuned config for your server? if not, a .config
> > > file would be helpful here ...
> >
> > The old .config would have been for vs1.9.4. This Ok?
>
> should be fine, copy it over into the new kernel
> tree (as .config) and run 'make oldconfig' ...
> the script will ask you for new options, in case
> of doubt, use the default ...

YES!!!

I got it built and it boots. I fell back to using ( actually I finally
remembered how I'd build the vs1.9.4 kernel ) the instructions at
OpenVPS.org.

I found two differences there. One was covered -- vdlimit is now part of
util-vserver but the option to build for other than i386 was incorrect and
I couldn't find a solution. A task for later. For now I have a running
2.6.12.4vs2.0 kernel and I'm going to run the test Herbert has when I get
into work.

A special thanks to Herbert for having so much patience with my less than
clue-full questions and to the OpenVPS folks for a great set of
instructions.

Rod