From: Stephen Harris (lists_at_spuddy.org)
Date: Thu 11 Aug 2005 - 14:56:20 BST

The 2.4.30 patch applied cleanly to 2.4.31 (except the top Makefile, of
course) so I'm guessing it should work...

It all seems good, but sometimes I get errors when trying to mount stuff
into a vserver tree

This works:

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% vserver webssh status
  Server webssh is running
  13 processes running
  Vserver uptime: 13:01

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% mount -r backup:/RedHat/updates/core1 /vservers/webssh/RedHat

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% ls /vservers/webssh/RedHat
  MIRROR* MIRROR.o* f* f.o* updates/

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% vserver webssh enter
  SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
  SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
  ipv4root is now 10.0.0.2
  New security context is 49173
  bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument
  [root_at_vserver:webssh /]ls /RedHat/
  MIRROR MIRROR.o f f.o updates

The /RedHat tree inside the vserver matches what is seen outside the
vserver.

However, this fails:

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% vserver mailgate status
  Server mailgate is running
  6 processes running
  Vserver uptime: 13:01

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% mount -r backup:/RedHat/updates/core1 /vservers/mailgate/RedHat

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% ls /vservers/mailgate/RedHat
  MIRROR* MIRROR.o* f* f.o* updates/

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% vserver mailgate enter
  SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
  SIOCSIFFLAGS: Cannot assign requested address
  ipv4root is now 10.0.0.3
  New security context is 49172
  bash: ulimit: core file size: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument
  [root_at_vserver:mailgate /]ls /RedHat
  ls: /RedHat: Permission denied

The XXX.sh files are the same and the XXX.conf files only differ in IPROOT
and S_HOSTNAME and are otherwise identical. The underlying mount point
is OK:

  [root]/home/sweh
  backup.pts/2% ls -ld /vservers/*/RedHat
  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 9 10:22 /vservers/mailgate/RedHat/
  drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Aug 9 10:22 /vservers/webssh/RedHat/

The vservers are otherwise running happily and are running the daemons
they should be running. I'm essentially using vservers as "bastion host"
gateways into my network from the outside world.

Any ideas? I can't move to a 2.6 kernel since I need IDE hotswapping...

(BTW, excellent documentation: setting up the initial fc1 minimal vserver
was simplicity!)