From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sun 07 Aug 2005 - 18:23:07 BST

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 06:47:13PM +0200, Dariush Pietrzak,,, wrote:
> > $ ulimit -u unlimited ; :(){ :|:&};:
> > will "work"?
> Try it, it won't.
> There are known limits with ulimits tho, which probably Bertl meant by
> suggesting rlimits.
>
> > >You just put that in vserver's guest configuration:
> > >grep -i ulimit /etc/vservers/dev.conf
> > >ULIMIT="-H -u 256 -n 1024"

> > hmmmm .... for vs20 possible? And: Does the context forbid the user
> > to "ulimit -u unlimited" ?

> Yes.
> Look:
>
> # vserver sig enter
> open files (-n) 1024
> sig:/# ulimit -n 10240
> bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
>
> you can only lower your limits, so 'ulimit -n 10' would work.

depends on the given capabilities, basically it seems
fine, and in near future, we will make sure that it is fine
to give CAP_RESOURCE to the guest, which will allow root
inside a guest to overrride the hard/soft ulimits
(but not the rlimits)

> > >similiar thing works for dreaded new-style configuration (probably
> > >in /etc/vservers/dev/ulimit/*)
> >
> > I don't think so. At least the directory does not exist by default
> > in favor of rlimit (taken from Herberts mails). Right?
> Wrong:
>
> eyck_at_maja:/etc/vservers/gucio$ cat ulimits/nofile
> 20048
> maja:/# vserver gucio enter
> [root_at_gucio /]# ulimit -n
> 20048
>
> > So for my limiting purpose is should probbaly go with:
> >
> > /etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/cpu
> > /etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/nproc
> > /etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/locks
> > /etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/cpu.min
> > /etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/nproc.min
> > /etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/locks.min
> probably.
>
> > There is mentioned a special keyword 'inf' - what does it do?
> infinity, AFAIK, same as unlimited.
>
> > Furthermore what does happen if guest reaches a soft limit?
> I didn't know there is such a thing as 'soft' and 'hard' limits when it
> comes to resource limits,

they are planned for a long time, actually there
are three kind of limits, min, soft and hard(max) ....
currently only the hard limits are implemented

HTC,