From: Andreas John (lists_at_aj.net-lab.net)
Date: Sat 06 Aug 2005 - 17:21:59 BST

Dariush Pietrzak wrote:

> eyck_at_dev:/tmp/PERL$ ulimit -l 10240 -m 10240 -u 12 -v 10240 -d 10240
> eyck_at_dev:/tmp/PERL$ :(){ :|:&};:
> [1] 27182
> eyck_at_dev:/tmp/PERL$ -su: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
> -su: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

OK, that was obvious ... but I have to force guest's limits (not all
guest are run by myself), i.e.

$ ulimit -u unlimited ; :(){ :|:&};:

will "work"?

> You just put that in vserver's guest configuration:
>
> grep -i ulimit /etc/vservers/dev.conf
> ULIMIT="-H -u 256 -n 1024"

hmmmm .... for vs20 possible? And: Does the context forbid the user to
"ulimit -u unlimited" ?

> similiar thing works for dreaded new-style configuration (probably in
> /etc/vservers/dev/ulimit/*)

I don't think so. At least the directory does not exist by default in
favor of rlimit (taken from Herberts mails). Right?

So for my limiting purpose is should probbaly go with:

/etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/cpu
/etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/nproc
/etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/locks
/etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/cpu.min
/etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/nproc.min
/etc/vservers/<foo>/rlimits/locks.min

There is mentioned a special keyword 'inf' - what does it do?
Furthermore what does happen if guest reaches a soft limit?

rgds,
Andreas