From: Benoît des Ligneris (benoit.des.ligneris_at_revolutionlinux.com)
Date: Mon 25 Jul 2005 - 11:48:33 BST

Hello,

Well, it certainly _was_ true at some point, especially when I was
testing the vserver on my laptop ;

I don't think this is the case now. We simply experiment that some
programs have to be run on the host and don't allow to change
port/restrict IP/etc.

The v_* tools are, IMHO, a generic way to circumvent this kind of
problem. This is especially true for portmap (i.e. : you need NFS on
your host and you provide NFS we unfsd3 on a vserver, etc.) and there is
no possibility to specify this in a config file (as far I know!). The
same can be true for other programs : openSLP ?,

Also, this can really help the newcommers to the vserver technology. I
agree with you that, most of the time, you need those tools when you are
using vservers on a "regular" host. However, it is really easy to use
these tools and, in the process, understand how the vservers and the
host share certain ressources. "Chasing" each and every config file of
services started on your host (apache:443, SSH, mySQL, postgreSQL, etc.)
can be a "not very productive task" especially during a test...

Just my .01$

Ben

--
Benoit des Ligneris Ph. D.
President de Revolution Linux            http://www.revolutionlinux.com/

Toutes les opinions et les prises de position exprimées dans ce courriel sont celles de son auteur et ne répresentent pas nécessairement celles de Révolution Linux

Any views and opinions expressed in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Revolution Linux