From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 23 Jul 2005 - 00:38:52 BST

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:02:52PM +0200, Brian Ipsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Sorry, just catching up on the ML. . .
> >
> > You can use the how-to written for CentOS, another RHEL clone:
> >
> > http://linux-vserver.org/CentOS_HowTo
>
> Hmm.. The minimum-list, that the page refers to, looks quite big... Sure,
> that all those packages are needed ?
>
> "eject" and "setserial" could probably be omitted - maybe also several
> others....

yes, but I guess as with most distros there are weird
dependancies across the packages .. like for example
that basesystem needs cpio and cpio won't do without
setserial :) or like fileutils require automount and
automount will drag in eject ... well you get the idea

In general it would be a great thing if folks really
good with a distro (or distributors) could do some
kind of linux-vserver dependancy graph, which would
allow to fix or ignore certain dependancies for vserver
guests (saving a lot of space and trouble) without
causing the tiniest update to drag in the 'missing'
350MB you carefully avoided in the first place ...