From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_sigma-chemnitz.de)
Date: Tue 19 Jul 2005 - 12:39:11 BST

bipsen-dated-1122371145.b96b83_at_andebakken.dk (Brian Ipsen) writes:

> My "base" vserver is up and running (with the vserver kernel) - the problem
> is creating a virtual server... I'm running WhiteBox Enterprise Linux 4 (a
> RHEL clone), but have difficulties figuring out how to create the
> distribution stuff - and where does it pick the RPM packages from ??
>
> Any hints, links, instructions etc are appreciated ...

I recommend to:

1. choose the best-fitting distribution from
   /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions; in your case, this is
   probably fc4.

2. copy the files from there into a suitable directory under
   /etc/vservers/.distributions/ :

   | # cp -a /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/fc4 \
         /etc/vservers/.distributions/wbel4

   This directory ('wbel4') will be used later at the '-d' option
   of the 'vserver ... build' command

3. adjust the initpre/initpost symlinks

4. depending on your installation method, you need to:

   - create a sources.list for apt in the apt/ subdirectory, or
   - adjust the yum repositories in the yum.repos.d/ subdir, or
   - add/change files in the rpmlist.d/ subdir

When WhiteBox Enterprise Linux is like RHEL, you should now be
able to create new vservers with

| # vserver ... build -m yum ... -- -d wbel4

out-of-the-box (although it is strongly recommended to patch
yum).

Enrico