From: Thorsten Gunkel (tgunkel-lists_at_tgunkel.de)
Date: Wed 06 Jul 2005 - 18:36:59 BST

Hi,

I have set up several Debian Sarge vservers on a Debian Sarge host.

Kernel 2.6.11.5-vs1.9.5
util-vserver 0.30.207-8 (Debian Version)

I have noticed that all vservers have lines like this in their syslog:

,----
| Jul 4 11:17:50 XXXXXXXX pam_limits[11826]: setrlimit limit #6 to soft=-1, hard=-1 failed: Operation not permitted; uid=0 euid=0
| Jul 4 11:18:02 XXXXXXXX pam_limits[11826]: setrlimit limit #8 to soft=-1, hard=-1 failed: Operation not permitted; uid=0 euid=0
| Jul 4 11:18:03 XXXXXXXX su[11826]: pam_open_session: Permission denied
`----

As far as I understood the superuser starts a program (I guess in this case su?) which
tries to set some limits (here RLIMIT_NOFILE and RLIMIT_MEMLOCK?) to
unlimited. Inside a vserver this is not allowed. Right so far?

Now I wonder if I can safely ignore that setrlimit messages?

Another issue I noticed:
If I enter a vserver with vserver ID enter and then type:

,----
| # at 19:21
| warning: commands will be executed using /bin/sh
| at> su news -c whoami
| at> <EOT>
| job 3 at 2005-07-06 19:21
`----

This fails with:

,----
| su: Permission denied
`----

When I try it without the at:

,----
| # su news -c whoami
| news
`----

it works. As the at command doesn't produce setrlimit syslog entries I guess
that these are two different problems?

TIA
 Thorsten