From: Christian Heim (christian.th.heim_at_gmx.de)
Date: Mon 04 Jul 2005 - 19:39:19 BST

Manfred Heubach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a simple way to determine from a bash script if the
> loaded kernel supports vserver or not. This should work for both 2.4 and
> 2.6 kernels.
>
> I can call vserver-stat and get "function not implemented" on a kernel
> without the vserver patches - but this is not what I really want to do.

Well you actually _need_ a working (and obviously running)
vserver-kernel first.

To determine, if the running kernel "supports vserver" or if the vserver
options
are enabled, you could use [1] *after* you successfully installed the utils.

Another option is, to grep your config (or probably config.gz if it's
enabled in
your .config) for the relevant options:
CONFIG_VSERVER_LEGACY
CONFIG_VSERVER_NGNET
CONFIG_VSERVER_PROC_SECURE
CONFIG_VSERVER_HARDCPU
CONFIG_INOXID_NONE
CONFIG_INOXID_UID16
CONFIG_INOXID_GID16
CONFIG_INOXID_UGID24
CONFIG_INOXID_INTERN
CONFIG_INOXID_RUNTIME
CONFIG_XID_TAG_NFSD
CONFIG_VSERVER_DEBUG

Please note, that those CONFIG's may differ if you are using a
patch-version
<vs2.0 (these are from vs2.0-rc5).

[1] http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/SCRIPT/testme.sh

Regards, Christian