From: Björn Steinbrink (B.Steinbrink_at_gmx.de)
Date: Mon 27 Jun 2005 - 23:13:14 BST

Hi,

On 2005.06.27 17:40:17 -0400, Frank Crowder wrote:
> I have 3 vservers. I can ping vserver 2 and 3, but not vserver 1. If I
> restart vserver1, I can ping vserver1 and vserver3. Any suggestions are
> very appreciated.

I guess you're hitting the primary/secondary network issue, but as you
didn't provide much information (kernel/tools version, network
configuration of the vservers) and my crystal ball is broken, I can't
tell anything else ;)

For the primary/secondary stuff:
In Linux, for each subnet there is one primary address. If this address
is removed, all secondaries are removed, too.
Example, I assume that there are no addresses from 10.0.0.0/8 configured
yet:
ifconfig eth0:0 10.0.0.1 <-- becomes primary
ifconfig eth0:1 10.0.0.2 <-- becomes secondary
ifconfig eth0:2 10.0.0.3 <-- becomes secondary
ifconfig eth0:3 10.0.0.4 <-- becomes secondary

ifconfig eth0:2 down --- eth0:2 is gone now
ifconfig eht0:0 down --- eth0:0 _and_ eth0:1 and eth0:3 are gone now

So if you have addresses from the same subnet in different vservers,
and of the vservers 'owns' the primary address, stopping/restarting that
vserver will causes the other vserver to lose their addresses.

Work-Arounds:
Either reserve an ip address in the used subnets that is statically
configured on the host and being the primary one (i.e. the first address
from that subnet), so the primary address will never be removed.
Or use /32 addresses, that way, the subnet contains only a single
address and thus there can't be any secondaries.

HTH
Björn