From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 06 Jun 2005 - 13:49:58 BST

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 10:30:16AM +0200, Martin Honermeyer wrote:
> Hello people,
>

> Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> >> You can also mount filesystems containing device nodes. This would give
> >> you root access to the host.
> >>
> >> Secure user mounts are planned in the vanilla kernel, maybe they can be
> >> adopted for vservers.
> >
> > 2.6/1.9.x and 2.0-* already support 'secure' mounts inside
> > a vserver guest ...
>
> How does this work? I am puzzled about this. In my setup, there is a vserver
> which has to access different logical volumes mounted on different paths.
> The vserver should be able to set up and manage quotas for each lv.

well, secure mounts are basically mounts of 'devices'
the guest has available with the important restriction
that they happen with 'nodev' so that the guest can not
use new device nodes this way ...

> So far, I have an ugly workaround. The host mounts those lv's from /dev/vg
> into the vserver. _After_ that, the vserver can be started, because it
> doesn't see those mounts when it's already running! This way, quotas can
> only be managed from within the host, as the vserver doesn't really see
> those mounts/devices!

that's a different issue you want to address here and
the solution is the vroot device proxy, which allos to
proxy quota ioctls to the device without giving away
full access to the device ...

> What would be the best way to do it? I don't quite understand what secure
> mounts are and how they work..

just do it as you do it now, configure a vroot device
for each lvm volume and copy that into the server ...
set the filesystem type to ufs to avoid that the guest
tools try to access the filesystem directly (done for
ext2/3) and make sure that mtab contains the usr/grpquota
flags (which are checked by the quota tools)

HTH,
Herbert