From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 30 May 2005 - 03:09:35 BST

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:14:12AM +0200, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> as I have resolved all my technical difficulties I have a performance
> question:
> Scenario: I run virtual Webservers which share a single root but need
> their own var, webtree and etc trees.
> For Testing I setup this up like this:
>
> /vserver/base - contains the root
> /vserver/www1...X - are symlinks to base
> /data/www1/etc, /data/www1/var, /data/www1/webtree are linked to their
> targets inside the vServer with "bind" entries in the vServer fstab.
>
> It seems to work perfectly, my question: is the number of bind-mounts a
> huge impact on performance ? If so, anyone has an adequate and faster
> solution ?

well, first you could do a single mount into the
vserver, and use symlinks into that instead ...

  /dat/www1/mutable/{etc,var,webtree}

second, if you use 2.6/1.9.x (or 2.0-*) and you
do the bind mounts inside the namespace (where they
should be done) then you won't see more than the
three bind mounts in every guest ... and none of
them on the host ...

and finally, I don't think that the number of
--bind mounts has a directly noticeable impact
on performance, as the main 'work' is done by
the dentry cache and 'new' lookups are seldom

HTH,
Herbert