From: Matthieu Racine (m.racine_at_free.fr)
Date: Mon 16 May 2005 - 13:58:03 BST

Hello,

This message is a little "out of the topic", but I think that could help...

Just a little "trick" I use when I want to copy larges trees with complex
permisions :

# cd /dir/to/copy
# tar cpf - --numeric-owner * | (cd /destination/dir ; tar
xpf - --numeric-owner)

Has somone a better, faster, more efficient way to do it ? I think cp -R ...
cannot do the job when copying devices (in /dev ) , soft links....
The major problem is for hard links that are "losts". Does someone know a
way to preserve them when doing so, I meen copy the inode(s) and make
multiples files points to it, no make the new files point to différents
copies of the original inode, nor make the new files point to the original
inode ?

Matthieu