From: Ola Lundqvist (opal_at_debian.org)
Date: Wed 04 May 2005 - 20:29:47 BST

Hello

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 08:34:59PM +0200, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> sam_at_vilain.net (Sam Vilain) writes:
>
> > I have set up a new project on OpenFoundry.org for util-vserver.
> > OpenFoundry is like SourceForge, except it doesn't suck.
> >
> > http://utilvserver.openfoundry.org/
> >
> > (no hyphens allowed in project names! bummer)
> >
> > For now the important thing it has is a public read-only Subversion
> > server, and is trivial for project Admins to invite other people to be
> > committers.
> >
> > So, you can grab the latest version of util-vserver from;
> >
> > http://svn.openfoundry.org/utilvserver/trunk/
> >
> > Then use "svn update" & friends to pull down new versions! :-D
>
> mmh... I am not very happy with the way how this was solved, because:
>
> * afais, the complete history of changes was lost in the SVN reimport
>
> * the svn repository contains lots of autogenerated files (e.g. ChangeLog,
> Makefile.in, configure, ...) which should not be handled by SCM systems

I think there are triggers that can be added to svn. Right now I have
upsted the ChangeLog manually to make sure no such thing is lost.
Or was the ChangeLog fully autogenerated?

> * I do not think that Subversion is so much better than CVS that a change
> is required. Changeset support or support of distributed development
> would be arguments convincing me but SVN does not offer these features.

The best upgrade thing with svn compared to cvs is that you can handle
directories too and do not loose the history. You can hack this to CVS but
then you have to have shell access and know how CVS is managed behind the
scenes.

> * what's wrong with current hosting at savannah? Ok, they are excessively
> paranoid which makes things like file uploads nearly impossibly. But I
> still have hope that it will be fixed.
>
> First two points can be perhaps solved by converting the CVS tree but I
> never did such a conversion. As already mentioned, I do not see the
> necessity of such a step.

I have done such a conversion and can do it again if you like.

My commits have not been to extensive so I can do it again without problem
after a conversion.

I thought you was behind this change so I happily started to
commit things. Hope you do not mind. :)

Regards,

// Ola

> Enrico

/  opal_at_debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal_at_lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |