From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Mon 02 May 2005 - 22:23:46 BST

Hi.

I've compiled kernel 2.6.11.7 patched with vs2.0-pre3.
Still no luck with the problem described in the previous thread.

Here is a summary of the symptoms ("phony" is the guest's name,
"99" is its context id).

- Step 1 -

A first "vserver phony start" worked.
I connected to the guest with ssh.
A "ps ax" showed: sshd, nullmailer, init, -bash.

"vserver stop" worked too (_unusually_, see further).
"/proc/virtual/99" was deleted. Everything's fine.

- Step 2 -

A second "vserver phony start" worked.
Connected with ssh.
"ps ax" showed: same as above, _plus_ all the "getty"!
So I thought: That's the problem maybe. [Although I wonder why
they didn't show up the first time, above.]
I then commented out all the relevant lines in the guest's
"/etc/inittab" and "telinit q". "ps ax": the "getty" processes
are gone.

"vserver phony stop" worked. But "/proc/virtual/99" is still
there! And "init" on the host is hung ('D' state, zombies, etc.)
Not that simple, after all :-{

- "strace" -

The vserver doesn't even start. "/proc/virtual/99" isn't created.
The output of "strace" shows it is stuck in a call to "clone".

Same behaviour when trying to strace "vserver phony stop".

Best regards,
Gilles

P.S. The kernel was compiled with "verbose debugging" to try and
      look into the problem with Herbert, whenever he has the time.