From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 - 18:12:21 BST

Hi Herbert.

Still struggling with a ghost "init" and a horde of zombies...

I forgot to tell (on IRC) that I couldn't reboot: "init" doesn't
answer anymore! So I had to push the button :-{ [No alternative,
I assume?]

The behaviour is still the same unfortunately. I've let the
computer do some work for a while (mutt, evolution, emacs, mozilla)
No <defunct> processes.

I've started (and stopped) the vserver *once*, now I can't start it
anymore, the error is as before:
-----
vcontext: vc_create_context(): File exists

An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
(/sbin/init) failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
  method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
  appending 'true' to this file will help.
-----

And zombies are starting to crawl again.
The first one to appear is "[lockfile]", followed by another of the same
species 10 minutes later. [If that rings a bell for you.]

Gilles

P.S. I have to leave now, but I'll be back later in the evening, on
      IRC, if you're willing to investigate what's going on.