From: Gaz Wilson (dragon_at_dragons.org.uk)
Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 - 10:49:22 BST

Hi all!

I am running a single physical host, say 10.0.0.1 with a single vhost
on, say 10.0.0.20.

On the main host, I have ssh running to be able to get onto the machine
to admin the vservers. Within the vserver, I do NOT have ssh running.

When I nmap the machine (10.0.0.1), I get a list of ports, including SSH.

When I nmap the vserver (10.0.0.20), I get the exact same list of ports
as when I nmap the main server!!! I can even ssh to my vserver's IP
and get logged into the physical host! This is no good to me for security
reasons - so what have I done wrong? Why doesn't nmap'ing the vserver
address only show the services which are running in the vserver? How
does the vserver see whats running on the main host?

Please xplain to me :)

   /           Gary Wilson, aka dragon/dragonlord/dragonv480            \
 .'(_.------.  e: dragon_at_northernscum.org.uk MSN: dragonv480   .------._)`.
<   _       |  Skype:dragonv480 ICQ:342070475 AIM:dragonv480   |       _   >
 `.( `------'     w: http://volvo480.northernscum.org.uk       `------' ).'
   \                w: http://www.northernscum.org.uk                   /