From: Mike Tierney (miket_at_marketview.co.nz)
Date: Wed 27 Apr 2005 - 05:47:49 BST

Hi

Is anyone currently running Oracle 10g in a Vserver as a Production system?

It seems to run just fine inside a Linux 2.6.11.5-vs.1.9.5 (SMP) Vserver.
That was using the latest alpha utils with a SuSE SLES 9 guest (basically a
copy of the root file system - minimal SLES 9 install of a mere 260-odd
RPM's).

The only issues I had were:
1) Adding RUNLEVEL="$1" into the start of /vserver/dbserver/etc/rc.d so the
SLES 9 guest would start!
2) Putting a few "exit 0"'s into /vserver/dbserver/etc/init.d/network so it
wouldn't hang on vserver start or stop(!).
3) Adding an extry for the Vserver's hostname into
/vserver/dbserver/etc/hosts to stop Oracle giving me "error 46 encountered
when initializing ldm" in my alert.log

That last one was a harmless message but it was annoying seeing it pop up!
:)

I then left it running a nasty AIO stress-test overnight and in the morning
it was fine. (The first time I ran it with too many threads and it extended
the undo tablespace by 15 gigs and ground to a very abrupt halt!).

So the question is, is anybody actually running Oracle 10g inside any
Vservers and have they had any problem with it???

The only real downside I can see is that you'd be limiting your support from
Oracle. Unless of course you rebooted with a certified Kernel (i.e. SuSE or
Redhat), chrooted into the Vserver, and then replicated any problems before
logging a support call. Which would be a bit of hassle, especially if you
were running your applications in a Vserver on the same box!! Which is kind
of the whole point.... Unless the Vserver database is merely a "fail-over"
or standby copy.

Cheers
Mike