From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Tue 26 Apr 2005 - 18:25:06 BST

> > # vkill --xid 99 -s 9 -- 1
> > vkill: vc_ctx_kill(): No such process
> >
> > :-(
>
> Hm, strange... A socket hanging around should be gone by now... What
> does /proc/virtual/99/status say?

# cat /proc/virtual/99/status
UseCnt: 3
Tasks: 0
Flags: 0000000002000010
BCaps: ffffffffd44c04ff
CCaps: 0000000000000101
Ticks: 0

Also, there is an ever-growing number of <defunct> processes:
# ps ax | grep defunct | grep -v grep | wc -l
83

And also:
# ps ax | grep init
 1 ? D 0:00 init [2]
           ^^^ ^^^^^
              Is this normal?

And also:
# telinit 1

Whatever the argument, "telinit" returns happily without doing
anything.

And finally:
# reboot

Broadcast message from root (pts/1) (Tue Apr 26 19:17:44 2005):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!

[... Time passes ...]

Still there (i.e. no reboot) to send that mail! [Shall I have to
hard-reset?]

> Or maybe the good old "proc keeps my context" annoyance is back?
> "mount -o remount /proc" should help in this case.

It didn't.

What's happening?

Gilles