From: Michal Ludvig (michal_at_logix.cz)
Date: Tue 26 Apr 2005 - 01:41:16 BST

Hi all,

I observe a strange behaviour with SL92/x86 (SuSE Linux 9.2) vserver
running on SL92/amd64 host with 2.6.11.5-vs1.95 and util-vserver
0.30.204 (linked with dietlibc 0.28).

When starting up the vserver in 'sysv' mode, everything works just fine
except that I can't reboot it from inside of the vserver. Reboot fails with:

~# reboot
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl

So I changed the init method to 'plain' and did 'vserver popelka start'.
The host came up in the background, but immediately my keyboard in X
(xorg-x11-6.8.1/amd64) died and load came up to 1.00 because the 'X'
process ended up eating all the CPU time. Everything else worked - I
could use the mouse to exit X and logged in again and it worked fine
until I did reboot from inside of the vserver. Now it succeeded, but as
soon as the host was about to come up after reboot the keyboard died again.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? I suspect the SuSE init or one of
the initscripts run *something* that breaks X/keyboard. N.b. from text
console it works with no problems.

Is there anyting I should try to avoid this? Or is there any way to
allow reboot from inside of the vserver without having 'init' process
running?

Thanks!

Michal Ludvig

--