From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri 22 Apr 2005 - 18:24:45 BST

sfrost_at_snowman.net (Stephen Frost) writes:

>> That's not possible. During the extraction phase, 'rpm' has to do
>> an username -> uid mapping with the setup from the inside of the
>> chroot. So at least there, I need getpwname() after chroot().
>
> Sorry for the double-reply but additionally, is that the only place
> where this issue exists? I'm not even sure what you mean by the
> 'extraction phase'- do you mean when building the vserver?

It is meant the phase when 'rpm --root ...' extracts the files and has
to map the username to an uid.

> If you're building it new it seems unlikely that it's a compramised
> vserver.

'vrpm' + 'vapt-get' + 'vyum' work long after the initial build also. This
might be after the vserver was compromised.

> Does this affect Debian users at all (who use Debian in their vservers)?

Probably not; for Debian only the internal packagemanagement is supported.

Enrico