From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 20 Apr 2005 - 04:07:25 BST

Hi Enrico!
Hi Folks!

after the "syscall is not implemented" fiasco on x86_64
(if you haven't heard of it, better do not ask ;) and
the new tool policy "don't trust anything except x86"
I felt that I had to do something against this monoarch
tendencies ... so I spent a little time investigating
the various syscall entries to the kernel (actually a
very interesting thing to do ;) and here is the first
(incomplete, because I didn't clean up the remaining
archs yet) version of _syscall* for _all_ kernel archs
and a vserver specific include file to set the assigned
syscall numbers without any kernel headers ...

http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Stuff/SYSCALL/

an experimental tool (well, somebody requested the old
vdlimit tool for x86_64 ;) is available which uses this
interface, so you can test it on <your-favorite-arch>

http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental/TOOLS/vdlimit-0.03.tar.bz2

basically a simple test would look like this:
(with a recent linux-vserver kernel)

  # ./vdlimit -V
    version: 0001:0025
  # ./vdlimit -x 0 /
    vc_get_dlimit: No such process

it was actually tested on x86 and x86_64, and I will
soon be able to test it on sparc/64, hppa (no syscall
yet), ppc and arm ...

if you have other archs available (or just want to be
the first to test it on <wossname>) please go ahead and
do so ...

currently "missing" archs are: FRV, H8300, IA64, M32R,
M68K, MIPS, HPPA, S390, SH, SPARC, V850, so let me know
if you have such a beast or a smart emulator (I know
there is one for ia64 and s390) and can not wait any
longer to give it a try, and you'll get the missing
syscall definitions within a day ;)

HTH,