From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 02 Apr 2005 - 02:37:22 BST

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 04:25:41PM -0500, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> I would also keep measurements of CPU ticks used. Since IO requires CPU
> cycles - is it possible that a CPU sched_hard indirectly limits IO just as
> well?

my suggestion (and actually plans for I/O issues) are
something like this:

 - have a 'generic' token bucket for various things
   (swap pages, I/O, scheduler, forks ...)

   why?: because! no seriously if we put all into
   one bucket it might work, but nobody can figure
   why it works/doesn't work ...

 - make those token buckets per cpu with (the now
   possible) cpuaffinity in place for vservers

   why?: increased performance and better scaling

 - have some buckets affect the scheduling behaviour
   (e.g. swap, forks, scheduler of course)

   why?: to penalize the contexts which do heavy
   forking or other heavy system activity ...

 - use some buckets to adjust/influence schedulers
   (taks, I/O and maybe network scheduler that is)

sched_hard does already indirectly limit I/O, because a
not running process/context can not submit I/O requests
so that is already working, but I take it isn't sufficient
for 'normal' use ...

PS: keep up the discussion ...